Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hairapy

Greetings.

Earlier today I was comparing two colleges I was considering. This website clearly speacializes in negative feedback. #negativity.

Anyways. I guess to each his own experience. Some people would rave and rant about the things that were wrong. Others would praise shamelessly. I don't know whose advice to take. I may have to do some more campus tours. But even those are rigged to make you want to go. It all looks so nice and colleg-y until you get stuck there for a weekend and the place is like ' a ghost town'. I don't want to be the naive freshman. I want to make an educated decision, not based on the emotionalization of getting my own space.

Aside from all that.

I am making strides to keep my hair natural and healthy. I've been perm/relaxer free for three years now. *Applause* I kept flat ironing my hair, however. Only now, just in the past few months have I realized the benefits of keeping all heat damage and chemical damage away from my precious curls. It all started when I found this book called "Curly Like Me" by Teri LaFlesh.



You could imagine my excitement when I saw the cover of this book. My first thought: "OMG I can have hair as long as that?!" And the answer is yes, I can.

Brief overview of what Teri talks about: Stop fight your hair. Embrace your curls as a gift and they will show you how wonderful curls can really be. She goes as far as to give you scientific research and reason behind curly hair, it's gentic make-up and so on. I was so in awe and so inspired that I began following her prescribed procedures like prayer, her book by my bedside as my hair bible.

I've always had curly hair. But my hair has been treated just like all other typical black girls' hair. As soon as it got too thick to get a comb through, it was slapped with a relaxer like, "You stop it! Bad hair!" And then it straightened up and got it's act together. It grew long enough for me to be labeled 'the dark girl with the long hair' in middle and high school. However, after I graduated, I stopped getting relaxers so I could get color. And even though my hair is relatively strong and extremely thick, it started to break off at the ends. So much shedding I began to fear brushing my hair.

So I started leaving it be. It was summer '09. I'd wash, condition and go. That worked. I was getting that wavy mulatto look that I wanted. But I got tired of it and started flat ironing it again. Then I cut it. Colored it again. Cut it again. All the while adding heat damage.

I am going to find or take a picture just for this blog to show you how my hair has progressed over the years. It's amazing. I could have a whole other blog for it. Perhaps I will. But until then. I am aiming for those long luscious brown curls like Teri. Well black curls... I'm through with hair coloring.....

: D


Intro

These poems are going to be based on two new characters I made yesterday with the help of that book I mentioned I was reading. You know 'The Mind of Your Story: What drives your fiction?" [As if you would remember that]. But yeah, I decided to run with that character-sketch-in-the-form-of-a-poem thing I had going on with the Nicholas Nickelby Post. Let's see how it goes. :D


Drowning in your malice
treading toward the wall
Feebly clinging to the bricks that
shut me from you
all
your all

Could you push me any further
Could you build a bigger moat
Could you send out much more daggers
 to disembowel my float...

The blockades getting higher
buffeting the sky
Weakly climbing till my hands can
reach and touch your
eye
your eye

***

Beautiful sounds in the forest
Melodies round the trees
Bid your voice adieu adieu love
Failing to bring this ease

O

Royal ecstasy billowing free
Shudder the leaves
twine the branches
Bravisimo from me

Ah

Bold sensitivity in the soil
a symphony of life within
Amidst the sprouts pure love boils
with longing begin again

Make sweet this time with you and me
Brace meek green vines tween me and thee

O song of
of the woods
Entrance
And lead
 the mortal
to
Doom


Reason/Inspiration

The inspiration was from the character sketches. The first is about or for a fellow I named... well I won't reveal the names, because I might use them later. :D But he's a bit nasty. The second for a young lady whom is in touch with mother earth. :D


Closing/Future

I might be changing the format of these posts. So that it goes quicker. Expect single poem posts... without explanation. Especially towards the middle of the semester.


Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts